Announcement

This blog has officially moved to www.sarasaysboutique.com/blog
Please visit!

Pages

Saturday, January 30, 2010

#! Aldi grocery store fan

So at Aldi you have to rent a cart for .25 cents - big deal!
At least you always know the prices won't go up in the store because someone stole all the shopping carts!
At Aldi you bring your own bags or buy some there.
But I don't.  I just pile all the stuff in the back of my car.  When I get home I put the items in a plastic tote and some heavy duty nylon shopping bags my husband bought from Home Depot and carry it up.
I still shop at Walmart for other items so I have plenty of plastic bags to use if I need to.
Not sure about Aldi?
Check out their website for further details. 
They even have recipes on their site.
What is it like?
It's just like a normal grocery store but they make their own brand of groceries in Batavia, Illinois.
They figured out the top items sold in grocery stores and reproduced them.
That way the customer does not end up paying for the items' advertising.
You end up with groceries for less.
Check out this receipt from one of my trips there.(Click to view larger)

I got about 50 items for $89. On the Walmart receipt I got 36 items for like $100.  Now this is NOT a direct comparison of items.  But it just gives you an idea of the difference. 
You can for sure get a week's worth of dinners there for under $200. Plus lunches and breakfast items too.
A gallon of milk is always less than $2.  
Great place to stock up on basic items like dairy, snacks, cereals, coffee, tea, frozen goods like shrimp, fish, ice cream, and pancakes.  Produce is bought in bulk there.  It's something to get used to but once you do, it is really nice to have an entire bag of potatoes, or onions, or even oranges or apples.  
The meat selection is not huge.  But they focus on white meat, leaner meats, and that is a good thing.
If you want to splurge on lobster tails this is the place to get them.
So please let me know if you have an Aldi and you tried and liked it.
You can go to the website and type in your zip code to find one.
 


No comments: